Clear Lake School Building History
The Clear Lake community school building began with shared space in Joseph Hewitt’s cabin, growing with the community to multi building complexes for Elementary and Junior/Senior high students.
Clear Creek Elementary School 2025
CL High School 2025
As early as 1855, Joseph Hewitt, one of the first settlers, had a school in his log cabin on the south shore, run by a female teacher who was paid $1 per student plus room and board. By 1857, a more public school was available in town —a 26 X26’ wood building which also served as a church, town hall, and court-house located at 40 N 4 th Street, The building, just behind the original Clear Lake Bank, in the photo below, has cupula housing the school bell. That structure survives and was moved to 906 S. 3rd Street; it’s now a private residence.
By 1874, Clear Lake formed an independent school district and by 1883, there were 324 students, 163 males and 161 females, as well as six teachers. The 1880 census counted 775 Clear Lake residents. By 1890, 1,130, and by 1900, 1,706 people lived in town. In 1889, a school was constructed at North 8th Street and Seventh Avenue North, but it proved too small by 1899.
Financed by the school district and devoted to primary and secondary-level education, it was located almost centrally to the town’s borders, situated on a gentle rise and surrounded by enough room for students to roam freely during recess or play baseball after school hours. As robust as the brick building was, it could not survive the fire which had apparently smoldered for several hours after a custodian used a torch to thaw some frozen pipes; the fire broke out later that night. Public School, as it was called, was totally destroyed by the fire of March 1911.
Sunset Elementary School was constructed of bricks and laid out as a one-story building spreading generously horizontally. Built with an eye to open vistas, the large glass windows offered the distraction of counting train cars passing by the school along the nearby rail line. Sunset served students living north of about Fourth Avenue and out along the north shore.

